I've just heard that the Core, one of the worst
films attacks against human intelligence ever is set to return sometime next year.
I can just see the tagline now... The Core II - We'll get at least 3% of the science right.
The Core is right up there with Armegeddon, in fact it's probably beyond Armegeddon on how dumb it is. I'll just briefly outline why the Core was so stupid:
1) The Earth's magnetic field is collapsing because the core of the Earth stopped rotating.
The amount of energy worked up in the Earth's core is huge. Here's an interesting fact; if the Earth's core actually did stop rotating the energy released would be enough to melt metals on the surface of the Earth, enough energy to evaporate all the world's oceans 10 times over.
2) Because the field is collapsing the microwaves from the Sun are getting through.
The Sun doesn't emit much in the way of microwaves. Secondly the magnetic field doesn't stop microwaves anyway. Thirdly microwaves aren't even that dangerous.
3) The bridge scene.... Bad engineering at its worst, a bunch of microwaves break through the magnetic field and come up to a suspension bridge - breaking it in two. The towers bend inwards.
If you break a suspension bridge in two, ie break the cables, the force would pull the towers outwards, not inwards because the inward force has just disappeared because the cables have broken.
4) They use a ship that is made out of indestructible metals to reach the core of the Earth.
Bad engineering and bad science. If the metals are indestructible how can you cut them to make a ship out of them? I mean come on.
5) They use a nuke to start the core of the Earth up again. In the film they mention the core is a ball of iron the size of Mars.
Well the core is about the size of Mars and it is mostly iron. So what the hell is a nuke going to do to it? Nothing!
Right so that is why the Core was a terrible film. You might argue it's only a film it doesn't need to be realistic, that's perfectly correct. But this film is the typical disaster film, ie it tries to make itself realistic. It has therefore stepped over to the side of reality where it can be judged by reality.
The lack of any understanding of science is inexcusable, it wouldn't take a lot to get at least some of the science right, well actually with this film the whole plot would need to be scrapped.
At it's best this film is a comedy. At it's worst this film damages the already under-developed understanding of science among the population.
We do not need a sequal. I mean what the hell are they gonna do next? Start the core of the Sun up with another nuke? What's a nuke going to do to a nuclear reactor over a million times the size of the Earth? Bugger all!